The Big Old Blighty Blag

Tales from "The Village"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cardiff, United Kingdom

Bought a house in a village in South Wales, have a reasonably nice view of tree-covered mountains all around. Still haven't found a better job... maybe next year...

Monday, 26 May 2014

I still can't seem to bring myself to post like I used to. As I said in my last, the city doesn't lend itself to witty vignettes but there are things that make me laugh nonetheless. A recent quote from one of my learners who was trying to solve the chicken, fox and grain puzzle:

"Well obviously the grain can't swim. It would just sink."

There is that. And the fact that inanimate objects generally aren't capable of swimming... I didn't have the heart to point that out though; she was at least trying which was more than some of the others were doing...
Speaking of learners, in a week I start a new job at a rival training provider. I am sort of looking forward to it but in general feel a faint sort of lethargy. I want to improve my career prospects but it all seems like a lot of hassle. Like I should already be settled in a decent career by now and if I'm not then maybe I should just accept what I have. It's miles away from the flat so I've got a much longer day to look forward to. I've booked another driving lesson because I just think at this point, I have no choice; it shouldn't take an hour to get to work on the other side of a city this small but that's how crap the public transport is here. I've made loads of friends at ITEC and as crap as the management are, my colleagues are for the most part awesome people trying to do a difficult job under frankly shit circs. I am really going to miss them.

Next on the list of things to do this year will be find somewhere else to live. I am happy enough in the flat but it isn't mine and the walls are paper thin which means I hear everything the neighbours do all the time and I can't be doing with that. The pub up the road are increasing their number of back garden events too which means their patrons are making a whole lot more noise.
I passed my Level 5 in Teaching Adult Literacy and I know I'll sound like I'm up my own arse for saying it but I learnt very little and still haven't been issued with a certificate a year on despite numerous emails and phone calls to the university which makes me mad. I got an A for English Literature; I was two marks away from an A*. That annoyed me, too.

I am thinking of doing history in the next couple of years. Just for a laugh.

The Beast finally buckled under its own weight so I write this from my shinier, sleeker, new laptop which operates on Windows 8. I miss Vista. I've only had this out of the box for a few hours and I can't work out how anything works at all. There doesn't seem to be a manual and there was no OS on a disc. What happens if the thing crashes, I can't imagine. Still. That seems to be the way of things these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home